Art Wanted Slideshow

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Recent Reads: Hugo Award Winning Novels



A couple of years ago, in between books that I was waiting to read, I decided how could I go wrong by catching up on some Hugo Award winning books?  I started with Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh and followed it up with Way Station by Clifford Simak.  A good start on my retro-reading journey.
I am a big fan of Starship Troopers and had a hankering to read The Forever War by Joe Haldeman for some time.  Read The Forever War and found it so memorable and well written - absolutely loved it!
I am a really big Philip K. Dick fan, although his concepts are difficult for me to wrap my head around.  I've read quite a few of his books and next on my Hugo winners journey I chose The Man in the High Castle, which has just recently been released as a TV pilot for a mini-series perhaps?  Challenging writing but, again, very rewarding.  I have recently begun reading the comic series Saga and am seeing elements of The Man in the High Castle in parts of it, or maybe it is my imagination.

Gateway by Frederik Pohl seemed intriguing, so, I snatched it up next...Wow!  Very good, highly recommended! A well-deserved Hugo Award winner!

That wasn't the end of my plunge into old-school science fiction that I should have read 30 years ago but just getting around to recently.  It turned out to be a winning strategy as they were all high rate!  Will post more next time.

No comments: