Art Wanted Slideshow

Monday, April 6, 2015

Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo

Although I wouldn't have expected it, the town library where I am currently living, Nederland, TX, has an extensive graphic novel and comics section.  One of the largest I have seen in a library.  While there tonight I saw they have the 6 volume set of Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo.  For those who have only seen the animated movie, excellent in its own right, I have to recommend you read the much more detailed and deeper manga version...soon! I read it a few years ago, mostly online at mangareader.net...great artwork and story.  There's a further connection with me, Akira and Nederland.  In the 80's I was visiting my wife's family here and found a comic shop in a quonset hut.  Went in and saw a book called Akira and flipping through it I saw some imagery that was impacting.  I guess it was the first issue translated into English.  Purchased it and that was my first experience with this classic story. So, read the books if you like science fiction - your library can likely get them for you even if they don't have a copy, through an interlibrary loan.  Great artwork.

Katsuhiro Otomo wiki
mangareader.net

No comments: