Art Wanted Slideshow

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Uncle Sam and Billy Graham or "Hey, I'm a lover not a fighter!"


This remains one of my most controversial pieces, I believe because of the title. But Hey, I usually just title the drawings after the stories they were commissioned for and I guess this just struck a wrong chord with people, especially after the US invaded Iraq. The illustration, I think is kind of anti-war, as the guy in the foreground image is absolutely upset about the slew of helicopters about to lay waste to him. The image, however, was seen by some as very pro-war and, I think anti-Arabic. I received some vitriolic comments regarding the piece, but also some supportive ones. Anyway, here it is for those who haven't seen it. It was commissioned for a story by Matthew Peak in the now defunct webzine "Dragons, Knights and Angels" for the story Uncle Sam and Billy Graham, hence the title.

No comments: