Art Wanted Slideshow

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ides of March Coin



I was born on the Ides of March, but haven't done too much research into exactly what it is. It is basically the middle of any month in the Roman calendar, the 15th on some months, the 13th on others. The Ides of March is associated with military festivals in honor of the god Mars. Most infamously, it is the date Julius Caesar was betrayed and murdered by his cabinet of ministers, led treacherously by his bff Brutus.
Civil war ensued in the power vacuum and this is a link to an article on the commemorative coin impressed by Brutus' forces. The coin has a great design and perhaps shows Brutus' hubris, as his image is on the obverse of the coin. A rarity for a living leader...
This reminds me, I would like a coin press to mint my own novelty coins...I have seen them in the past at Renaissance Fairs and it looks like a blast. Very interesting!

Link:
Eid Mar coin

1 comment:

Jennifer Black said...

"His bff Brutus" That really made me laugh, great blog you got here come check mine out:

http://blackjennifer.blogspot.com/