Art Wanted Slideshow

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Basil Gogos Tusken Raider



At the last New York Comic Con, I was fortunate enough to meet one of my favorite artists, Basil Gogos, who is probably best known for his covers in the 60's and 70's for Famous Monsters of Filmland. I noticed on Google Analytics that some recent visitors to this blog got here via searches for "Basil Gogos Tusken Raider", so especially for them here is a scan of my copy of FMOF signed by the great Basil Gogos. What a pleasure to meet him and talk with him. There is a recent book showcasing his art titled Famous Monster Movie Art by Basil Gogos with an introduction written by Rob Zombie. I don't have it yet, but it is on the wish list.

And just for a moment I would like to reflect on the costume design for the original Star Wars. What an achievement, from the now iconic Darth Vader costume to the Tusken Raiders, various droids and, my personal favorite, X-Wing Fighter Pilot uniform - just great! Some, me included, were disappointed by the recent prequels (I mean really, Midichlorians?), but let's give George Lucas the credit for the ability to turn vision into reality. No small feat and there is a great behind-the-scenes documentary "Empire of Dreams" which will leave your head shaking at what went into the making of the movie. Highly recommended.

No comments: