Art Wanted Slideshow

Monday, November 2, 2009

Don Ivan Punchatz - Sad News


Image copyright estate of Ivan Punchatz and id software.

I learned through Drawn! of the passing of great illustrator Don Ivan Punchatz. It was the illustrators of the 70's, along with 50's illustrator Virgil Finlay, who have had the most visual influence on my art. Don Ivan Punchatz, along with Bob Peak, created images that are burned on my cortex - Great Imagination. I did not know until tonight that he was responsible for the box art to the video game "Doom" and illustrated the original "Star Wars" movie poster.

Here is a link to the obituary at Spectrum.

This makes me more conscious of my artistic inactivity and realization that there is a limited time to get the visions from between my ears and onto paper.

No comments: