Art Wanted Slideshow

Friday, February 15, 2008

Six Degrees of Roy Batty


A few months ago I had a six degrees of separation experience. I read about a Philip K Dick novel, "Ubik", this summer in Wired Magazine. Philip K Dick wrote "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep." That novel is the basis for one of my favorite movies, Blade Runner, starring Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer. I read Ubik and really enjoyed the book and made a resolve to read "Do Androids Dream..."
I was flown to Hollywood for the Writers and Illustrators of the Future contest. A novelist I wasn't very familiar with, but had heard of, was one of the Judges and Workshop facilitators. The author's name was Tim Powers. Tim Powers was a past winner of the Philip K Dick Award for speculative fiction.
I returned to New England, read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", read the dedication to the book, and guess what? It was dedicated to...Tim Powers! Also, Blade Runner: The Final Cut was released for Christmas, I received it for a present and there is Tim Powers on my tube discussing the book and movie in the extra features documentary.
A great experience.

No comments: