Art Wanted Slideshow

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Science Fiction Art of Virgil Finlay


My main influence in art, and main inspiration to begin submitting my illustrations to publishers, has been the great American pulp-era artist Virgil Finlay. Finlay's talent, amazing pen and ink work and prolific use of the stipple technique made him stand out among his fellow illustrators of the day. I don't recall the first time I viewed Virgil Finlay's artwork but once I saw it I was hooked.
Here is a good link to his science fiction art with some horror and fantasy thrown in. If you explore the internet you're sure to find plenty of images. I will be sure to post more on Virgil Finlay in the future. That my work has been compared to his has certainly boosted my confidence and made my artistic journey worth it.

No comments: